Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Answers to Last Week's Music Quiz

1. 2003 - You've probably never heard this band unless you listen to Contemporary Christian radio. Here's most of the song from the second verse on except for repeated choruses...
Winter, spring -- it's what love can truly bring
Ice turns to water; water flows to everything
You can lose your mind
Maybe then your heart, you’ll find
I hope you won’t give up what’s movin' you inside -- no

So if you’re waitin' for love
Well, it’s a promise I'll keep
If you don’t mind believing that it changes everything
Time will never matter
(Time will never matter)
(x2)

If the car won’t start when you turn the key
When the music comes on, all your cold, cold heart can do is skip a beat

It’s a promise I'll keep when you’re waitin' for love
If you don’t mind believing that it changes everything
Time will never matter
(Time will never matter)

Jars of Clay - "Sunny Days"
2. 1998 - Ooh, a drastic change from the previous song. This is the only song I like by this particular artist. A rock radio hit. This is the first and third verses, minus the chorus.
Dead I am the one, exterminating son
Slipping through the trees, strangling the breeze
Dead I am the sky, watching angels cry
While they slowly turn, conquering the worm

Dead I am the light, digging through the skin
Knuckle cracked the boat, twenty-one to win
Dead I am the dog, hound of hell you cry
Devil on your back, I can never die

Dig through the ditches,
And burn through the witches
I slam in the back of my
Dragula

Rob Zombie - "Dragula"
3. 1986 - Very, very obscure. There was another song on this album, the only one recorded by this duo, that got a lot of airplay back in the day. This is the song from the beginning to the section that mentions the title.
Fifteen long years on a losing streak
And a lot of bodies unburied
There comes a time you cannot turn the other cheek
You have got to ride the ferry
Past the battered old bodies of dead, dead dreamers
Past the tethered and fettered and desk-bound schemers
The punks and the drunks and the bad guitar players
And the dewy-eyed, teenage dragon slayers
You come to this place where you can say I
I just want to work with you
As we do the things that we know we have to do
Ever hopeful and ever blue
We do the things that we know we have to do
And though we all know deep down in our hearts
That someday this will all fall apart
For right now, let's just be heroes

David and David - "Heroes"
4. 2007 - This Canadian band has been around a while, but they're pretty new to me. I'm still trying to decide how much I like them. I don't listen to the radio much these days, but I think this has gotten some airplay. First verse...
I hold on so nervously
To me and my drink
I wish it was cooling me
But so far has not been good
It’s been shitty
And I feel awkward as I should
This club has got to be
The most pretentious thing
Since I thought you and me
Well I am imagining
A dark lit place
For your place or my place

Well I’m not paralyzed
But I seem to be struck by you...

Finger Eleven - Paralyzer
5. 1997 - Another drastic musical change of pace. An album track by a Canadian artist (another one) who has had a few hits. First verse...
The winter here's cold and bitter
It's chilled us to the bone
We haven't seen the sun for weeks
Too long, too far from home
I feel just like I'm sinking
And I claw for solid ground
I'm pulled down by the undertow
I never thought I could feel so low
Oh darkness, I feel like letting go

If all of the strength and all of the courage
Come and lift me from this place
I know I could love you much better than this
Full of grace
Full of grace
My love

Sarah McLachlan - "Full of Grace"
6. 1970 - A rock n' roll classic. No way you're not getting this one. This is all you need to figure it out...
Well, I've got to run to keep from hidin',
And I'm bound to keep on ridin'.
And I've got one more silver dollar,
But I'm not gonna let 'em catch me, no,
Not gonna let 'em catch the midnight rider

The Allman Brothers Band - Midnight Rider
7. 1995 - An album track from the first solo album from a fairly famous band's frontwoman. This is the end of the song...
My love is gone
She suffered long in hours of pain
My love is gone
Now my suffering begins
My love is gone
Would it be wrong if I should
Surrender all the joy in my life,
Go with her tonight?
My love is gone
She suffered long in hours of pain
My love is gone
Would it be wrong if I should
Just turn my face away from the light,
Go with her tonight?

Natalie Merchant - "Beloved Wife"
8. 1990 - A worldwide hit from a New Wave band that hung around for years and years. The first and second verses minus the chorus and another bit thrown in for good measure...
You had something to hide
Should have hidden it, shouldn't you?
Now you're not satisfied
With what you're being put through

Things could be so different now
It used to be so civilised
You will always wonder how
It could have been if you'd only lied

Never again is what you swore
The time before
Never again is what you swore
The time before

Depeche Mode - "Policy of Truth"
9. 1977 - This artist has been around for a few decades and has recorded many hits. This is an album track from his first solo record. Second verse...
We've tried a handful of bills and a handful of pills
We've tried making movies from a volume of stills
The words fell like hailstones,
bouncing at our feet,
Covering our feelings with a frozen sheet.
A chance to move, I take a shot
I get cold - you get hot
We look outside, lyin' awake
See birds breaking surface on a silent lake.

But don't get me wrong, I'll be strong
When I'm back on the Isle of Avalon
Don't get me wrong, I'll be strong When the slow burn sunset come along

Peter Gabriel - "Slowburn"
10. 2003 - One of my favorite newer bands. The title doesn't actually show up in the song, so here's a big chunk. These lyrics might not be exact. It's hard to say...
Without habitation,
You'll never find a soul inside
No life, but nothing's died
No lights, but quite the show
Just as long as no one ever knows
All motion is pantomime

As waves of plastic fame go out of fashion
You're going out, going out forever unknown
These waves of plastic fame go out of fashion
(These waves of plastic fame are drying up and I smile)
You're going out, going out
(Because you're dying to become forever unknown, unknown)

From above, a rain of ashes (descends anathema)
I will remain, forever will remain
From below, in my seclusion
Look up to the sky to see - see wings and watch them burn

Dancing in the rain of descending ash
Dancing on your grave, I'll see you all falling
Dancing in the rain of descending ash
Dancing in your dust, I'll see you all falling
I'd stop it, had you a heart
I'd stop it, had you a heart

AFI - "Paper Airplanes (Makeshift Wings)"

No comments: