Sunday, May 28, 2023

weirdest damned thing

Recently I had a weird, wild, bizarre thought. What if I started up my old blog? My old Blogspot blog. Insane, right? The weirdest, wildest, most bizarre thing about it all was that the more I thought about it the more I liked the idea.

But wait. Is it still there? How long has it been? 

Yep, here it is. Six years? That can't be right. Oof, several years of reading lists. This turned into ancient history in a hurry. 

Does this thing still work? Guess we'll find out when I try to post this. 

Anyway, back to my thought. I've recently taken up gardening, and I had the random thought that this was the first time in a long time that I have had a hobby.  Which got me to thinking about some of my past hobbies. Which got me to thinking about how much I used to love to blog. Had several different blogs about different topics I was interested in. Hey, they're still there too. I used to love having some kind of creative outlet. I hardly knew if anyone was reading and hardly cared. Just liked to write, to have an outlet. If you liked to read anything I wrote? Fantastic!!!

So, what happened? I started going to Twitter a lot -- mainly to check out the latest news. Twitter was great for that. A lot of verified news outlets and journalists posted there on a pretty much instantaneous basis. It was a really great way to keep up with what was going on in the world. Then, I guess I just got old and lazy. Started spending more and more time there and less and less here. Started finding more and more excuses to quit writing. Also, blogging in general and Blogspot in particular fell out of vogue (if they were actually ever in vogue,) and I finally quit coming here altogether. 

Over at Twitter, things have started to fall apart since Elon Musk bought the site. Nothing and nobody are verified. It's not as reliable as it used to be. Most of the news outlets and other accounts are there, but you have to be extra careful to make sure that everybody is who they say they are and what they are saying is accurate. The blue checks don't mean shit, except to identify the kooks and weirdos who are stupid enough to pay Elon eight dollars a month.

There's a lot of talk on the site about moving to one of alternative sites that are springing up -- Mastadon, Spoutible, and the like. I might make the move to BlueSky when they get where they can handle large-scale traffic. In the meantime, I started thinking more and more about coming back here and dusting off some of these old blogs again. The next few days and weeks will tell the story of how serious I am about coming back here and how much time I can carve out of my Twitter addiction to do so. Stay tuned. 


a postscript: It's been about three weeks since I wrote this post, so haven't done the time carving just yet. I'm still a work in progress. Just wanted to warn you.

JUST WANTED TO WARN YOU!!!

If you're going back through this blog chronologically, past this post are several years of nothing. The last entry was in 2017. That was the end of a few years of keeping track of books I'd read and nothing more. Past that, you're in ancient history. I might go back through it all and sort some of it out, might delete it all, might keep it all. I don't know yet. 

No comments: