Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Something Different

Image representing Zemanta as depicted in Crun...Image via CrunchBase

Over the weekend I ran across a blogging tool called Zemanta. I'm in an experimental stage right now, trying to figure out how it all works and whether it adds or distracts from the old "Meanwhile..." blog.

It's a pretty neat little gadget. If you use Firefox, it's a simple plug-in. I believe there is also a plug-in for Internet Explorer and some other browsers. When you start to type out a new post (or edit an existing post), it suggests links, tags, pictures, and related articles to add to the post. You can use any or all of the suggestions as you see fit. It also works with certain email programs.

Check out Zemanta in action in some of my newer posts and let me know what you think. Does it add or distract?

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

Steven said...

I've seen plenty similar apps. The surrounding box is good - Some suggest content apps are just a set of links with no separation from the blogger's content.

The reblog button is interesting but it seems to be a join only feature. Reblogging done well is hard to find.

The hot linking of images is not so good. No easy solution on that.

Interesting app.

fdtate said...

The image linking is a problem (as you can tell from the image that disappeared from this post). The few times I've used it so far, the choice of available relevant photos has been pretty limited. Also, if you want to add more than one photo from their selections, you have to do a work around and cut-and-paste html code. They do add photos from the user's Flickr account to the available choices, but I would add my own photos on my own.

They are also too reliant on Wikipedia for source material, but sometimes that's all you need. I think I can add my own sources for material and am going to play around some more with it over the long holiday weekend.

The verdict is still out, but I'm liking it so far. I would be interested in learning about some of the other blogging tools you mentioned.

Wild River Guitar said...

I like Zemanta because it finds Related post's for me.I discovered your blog through using Zemanta so it also get's you traffic. Just be careful not to over do it with the labels