Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin: 1937-2008

One of my heroes and the best comedian of all-time, George Carlin, died Sunday of heart failure. He was 71.

Carlin's comedic career spanned five decades. He started out as a straight-laced comedian, not too different from the other guys, then reinvented himself in 1970...
“I was entertaining the fathers and the mothers of the people I sympathized with, and in some cases associated with, and whose point of view I shared,” he recalled later, as quoted in the book “Going Too Far” by Tony Hendra, which was published in 1987. “I was a traitor, in so many words. I was living a lie.”
He gradually evolved from a counterculture hero into a scathing social critic. It was comedy that made you think as much as it made you laugh. His most famous routine, the one that made the most waves was "Seven Words You Can Never Say on TV," but I always liked his routines about more conventional language. My favorite routines were "A Place for My Stuff" and this gem about baseball and football...



Carlin saved his most scathing criticism for religion...



...including the 10 Commandments...



...and occasionally politics.



Goodbye, George. You'll be missed.

No comments: