Sunday, January 20, 2008

Weekend Assignment: When Do You Sleep?

Karen has the new weekend assignment at Outpost Mavarin:

Weekend Assignment #199: What is your usual sleep schedule on weeknights? Are you an "early to bed, early to rise" sort of person, or do you stay awake far into the night (voluntarily or otherwise), and get up as late as your work schedule permits? Do you give priority to getting adequate sleep? If so, how is that working out for you?

I am now and have always been a night owl. I work second shift and usually stay up most of the night, then sleep until it's time to get up and get ready for work -- usually around the crack of noon. The nighttime is the right time. I enjoy the peace and quiet of being the only one in the family still up. I can enjoy me some inner nets or watch the boob tube without having to fight and argue with someone else for the privilege. I don't have to wait until someone else gets off the computer or argue over which DVD to watch. If I try to write a few lines I can do it without the constant distractions that seem to be ever constant during the daylight hours.

I don't have a problem with getting up early. I love the early mornings for the same reasons I enjoy the late nights: the peace and quiet. I just hate to go to bed early. It's a voluntary thing -- not insomnia. When I do finally drag myself off to bed, I sleep like a log, a lamb, a baby...like I did before the rooster went blind. I don't always get a sufficient number of hours of sleep, but I usually make it up the next night.

Extra Credit: If you had no work or family scheduling obligations, would your sleeping pattern change substantially?

I don't think so. Like I said, I've always been a night owl. But no work or family? I might not have a regular sleep schedule at all. I might sleep all day sometimes, or just sleep whenever the mood struck.

----------------
Now playing: Robin Trower - Day of the Eagle
via FoxyTunes

No comments: