Sunday, December 23, 2007

Answers to Last Week's Music Quiz

1. 1973
Every time that I look in the mirror
All these lines on my face getting clearer
The past is gone
It went by like dusk to dawn
Isn't that the way
Everybody's got their dues in life to pay

Yeah, I know nobody knows
Where it comes and where it goes
I know it's everybody's sin
You got to lose to know how to win

Aerosmith - "Dream On"
2. 1981 -- These lyrics are also a riddle. Bonus points if you can answer it.
Meanwhile lurking by a stone in the mud
Two eyes looked to see
What I was
And then something spoke
And this is what it said to me:

"Clothes of brass and hair of brown
Seldom need to breathe -- Don't need no wings to fly
And a heart of stone
And a fear of fire and water -- Who am I?"

Genesis - "Dodo/Lurker" (The lyrics are from the "Lurker" part of the song.)
3. 1971
I was dreaming of the past.
And my heart was beating fast,
I began to lose control,
I began to lose control

John Lennon (or Roxy Music) - "Jealous Guy"
4. 2003
Will the eagle fly
If the sky's untrue
Do the faithful sigh
Because they are so few

Remember when I cried
Remember when you knew
Remember the look in your eyes
I know I do

And count the stars to measure time
The earth is hard, the treasure fine
To the sea, I crawl on my knees

Feel it coming in
Feel it going out
Water covers sin
Blood covers doubt
So I begin again
Again the kneeling bow
There was a time that I might have surrendered
But not now

Jars of Clay - "Dig"
5. 2003
Twenty-six years and seems like I've just begun
To understand my, my intimate is no one
When the director sold the show, who bought its last rites?
They cut the cast, the music, and the lights

This is my life, this is eternal
How did I ever wake up here?
Discarnate, preternatural
My prayers to disappear
Absent of grace, marked as infernal
Ungranted in dead time left me disowned
To this nature, so unnatural
I remain alone

AFI - "...but home is nowhere"
6. 1995
You took your coat off
And stood in the rain,
You're always crazy like that.
And I watched from my window,
Always felt I was outside looking in on you.
You're always the mysterious one with
Dark eyes and careless hair,
You were fashionably sensitive
But too cool to care.
You stood in my doorway with nothing to say
Besides some comment on the weather.

Well in case you failed to notice,
In case you failed to see,
This is my heart bleeding before you,
This is me down on my knees

Jewel - "Foolish Games"
7. 1998
I'll pull your crooked teeth
You'll be perfect just like me
You'll be a lover in my bed
And a gun to my head
We must never be apart
We must never be apart

Lovely girl, you're the murder in my world
Dressing coffins for the souls I've left to die
Drinking mercury
to the mystery of all that you should ever leave behind
In time

In you I see dirty
In you I count the stars
In you I feel so pretty
In you I taste god
In you I feel so hungry
In you I crash cars
We must never be apart

Smashing Pumpkins - "Ava Adore"
8. 1997
It doesn’t mean much
It doesn’t mean anything at all
The life I’ve left behind me is a cold room
I’ve crossed the last line
From where I can’t return
Where every step I took in faith betrayed me
And led me from my home

Sarah McLachlan - "Sweet Surrender"
9. 1994
Another head hangs lowly,
Child is slowly taken.
And the violence caused such silence,
Who are we mistaken?

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying

The Cranberries - "Zombie"
10. 1983
Hey, little sister, what have you done?
Hey, little sister, who's the only one?
Hey, little sister, who's the superman?
Hey, little sister, who's the one you want?
Hey, little sister, shot gun!
It's a nice day to start again.

Billy Idol - "White Wedding"

No comments: