Saturday, November 24, 2007

Answers to Last Week's Music Quiz

1. 2003 - One of several rock radio hits from a guy who's had a couple...of hits, I mean. This is from his second album and also appeared on the "Live from Bonnaroo 2003" album. A lot of the song beginning at the beginning...
And I'm just a waste of her energy,
And she's just wasting my time (mmm hmm)
So why don't we get together
And we could waste everything tonight
And we could waste, and we could waste it all...tonight. Yeah.
And we could waste, and we could waste it all

And I don't pretend to know what you know - no, now
Now please don't pretend to know what's on my mind
If we already knew everything that everybody knows
We would have nothing to learn tonight
And we would have nothing to show tonight

Oh, but everybody thinks that everybody knows
About everybody else, nobody knows
Anything, about themselves
'Cause they're all worried about everybody else. Yeah.

Jack Johnson - "Wasting Time"
2. 1994 - Another rock radio hit. A big one. Second verse, chorus and bridge...
Peel me off this Velcro seat and get me moving
I sure as hell can't do it by myself
I'm feeling like a dog in heat
Barred indoors from the summer street
I locked the door to my own cell
And I lost the key

Bite my lip and close my eyes
Take me away to paradise
I'm so damn bored I'm going blind
And I smell like shit

I got no motivation
Where is my motivation
No time for motivation
Smoking my inspiration

Green Day - "Longview"
3. 1999 - There was a song on this album that got about fifteen minutes worth of airplay on the rock stations. This isn't it. About an eleven on a scale of one to ten on the obscurity meter. First and second verses minus the chorus...
Love you like no other
Love you rain or shine
You could be the one thing that is on my mind
This could be our last chance
Don't get left behind
Phone you at the weekend if I get time

She's a Disconnected child
Disconnected child
Disconnected child
Disconnected child
She's been on my mind

She's been leaving lovers
Don't get left behind
She'll feel bad tomorrow - that's another time
Let's do this together
I'm sure that it's fine
We'll feel bad tomorrow - that’s another time

Tin Star - "Disconnected Child"
4. 1997 - Proof that I'm sometimes a sucker for a silly pop tune. There was a time when you couldn't listen to almost any radio station for fifteen minutes without hearing this. First and second verses minus the chorus...
The strands in your eyes that color them wonderful
Stop me and steal my breath
Emeralds from mountains that thrust towards the sky
Never revealing their depth
Tell me that we belong together
Dress it up with the trappings of love
I'll be captivated
I'll hang from your lips
Instead of the gallows of heartache that hang from above

And I'll be your crying shoulder
I'll be your love suicide
I'll be better when I'm older
I'll be the greatest fan of your life

And rain falls angry on the tin roof
As we lie awake in my bed
You're my survival, you're my living proof
My love is alive, not dead
Tell me that we belong together
Dress it up with the trappings of love
I'll be captivated
I'll hang from your lips
Instead of the gallows of heartache that hang from above

Edwin McCain - "I'll Be"
5. 2005 - Another rock radio hit. From the beginning...
One more kiss could be the best thing
But one more lie could be the worst
And all these thoughts are never resting
And you're not something I deserve

In my head there's only you now
This world falls on me
In this world there's real and make believe
And this seems real to me

And you love me but you don't know who I am
I'm torn between this life I lead and where I stand
And you love me but you don't know who I am
So let me go, let me go

3 Doors Down - "Let Me Go"
6. 1990 - A one-hit wonder band. This ain't it. Very, very obscure. The second verse to the end of the song...
We move around misunderstood
Out of a crowd like lovers would
Wherever the wind was running
All broken up for one so tough
Hating romance, and who needs love
Only for reassurance

And it's dark out
All the streets are quiet now
Gaby says, "They're all out
To hold you in the end
And if you've got one dream
Shouldn't it be realized?
'Cause if it's only inside
It starts to drag you down
It drags you down"

Hearing the bells strike down the hours
Striking the broken hearts and flowers
Out of a world of indifference
And I tried to say when things got worse
You'd be taken up and be put first
Over the grey horizon

And it's cold out
It's quiet out
And there's a boat out

And if you've got one dream
Shouldn't it be realized
'Cause if it's always inside
It starts to drag you down
It drags you down
It drags you

Oh, who needs love
When in doubt, love...

Dream Academy - "Gaby Says"
7. 1980- An instant classic. All you should need is the intro...
Our life together
Is so precious together
We have grown
We have grown
Although our love
Is still special
Let's take a chance and fly away
Somewhere, alone

It's been too long since we took the time
No one's to blame, I know time flies so quickly
But when I see you darling
It's like we both are falling in love again
It'll be just like starting over, starting over

John Lennon - "(Just Like) Starting Over"
8. 2002 - A band that has a pretty hardcore following. I like some of their stuff, some I can't stand. This song is on their greatest hits album, but I'm not sure how many people might know it. One of the hardcore fans would. First verse and chorus...
Pick me up
Been bleeding too long
Right here, right now
I'll stop it somehow

I will make it go away
Can't be here no more
Seems this is the only way
I will soon be gone
These feelings will be gone
These feelings will be gone

Now I see the times they change
Leaving doesn't seems so strange
I am hoping I can find
Where to leave my hurt behind
All this shit I seem to take
All alone I seem to break
I have lived the best I can
Does this make me not a man?

KoRn - "Alone I Break"
9. 1997 - A totally different band than the one above, but they have the same kind of loyal following. Almost unknown by anyone else. This song was on their second album and the soundtrack to that stupid "Jack Frost" movie. First verse and chorus...
A promise or a dare
I would jump if I knew you'd catch me
Staring over the edge
I can't tell if you'll be here for me
I close my eyes and make a wish
Turn out the lights and take a breath
Pray that when the wick is burned
You would say that it's all about love

You were there when I needed you
You were there when the skies broke wide, wide open
You were there when I needed you
You were there when the skies broke wide, wide open

But you were never here

Jars of Clay - "Five Candles (You Were There)"
10. 2007 - Almost brand-new. A lot of airplay on rock radio. Most of the middle of the song...
You harbored all the wasted sighs to define the quiet drone
I'll let you start again, but you won't
I saw you pray for change and then you walked all over me
You wanted what you could not have and now you are alone

'Cause they're still in you too low
All the voices you don't know
And they're still in you too low
All the choices that you chose
Make the voices tell me who you are and who I am to be

Are you alone where you are tonight?
I'm alone when you're right here
But I'm still in you somehow
I never left at all
Now I'm still in you too low
So my voice is all you know

'Cause they're still in you too low
All the voices you don't know

And they're still in you too low

All the choices that you chose

Leave you nothing left to hold

When you're nothing it's a good time to remind you of one thing

The pursuit begins when this portrayal of life...ends

Evans Blue - "The Pursuit"

No comments: