Saturday, October 27, 2007

This Week's Music Quiz

Another Saturday, another music quiz.

Instead of just listing a random 10 from my music player, these are lyrics to the 10. See if you can name the artist and/or song. No prizes, just my undying admiration...

1. 2005 - An album track from the latest album of a fairly well-known rock act. First and second verses minus the chorus...
Can't you see that I'm sick of this?
Chances are you're oblivious
To how I feel
Sitting on your throne
And I'm sure that I'm not alone
Not alone
Not alone

I didn't think that you'd sell me out
Now I know what you're all about
You might feel in control of things
But you're not holding all the strings
All the strings
All the strings
2. 1990 - OK, this is different. I can't swear that these lyrics are correct because this song is in another language. Here's the whole thing...
Imtheochaidh soir is siar
A dtainig ariamh
An ghealach is an ghrian
Fol lol the doh fol the day
Fol the doh fol the day

Imtheochaidh an ghealach's an ghrian
An Daoine og is a chail 'na dhiadh
Fol lol the doh fol the day
Fol the doh fol the day
Fol lol the doh fol the day
Fol the doh fol the day

Imtheochaidh a dtainig ariamh
an duine og is a chail ne dhiadh
Fol lol the doh fol the day
Fol the doh fol the day
3. 1979 - Maybe not the first British punk band, but the definitive one. After a couple of albums, they mellowed out some. This is their first stateside pop hit. First verse and chorus...
You say you stand by your man
Tell me something I don't understand
You said you love me and that's a fact
Then you left me, said you felt trapped
Well some things you can explain away
But the heartache's in me till this day

You didn't you stand by me
No, not at all
You didn't stand by me
No way
4. 1985 - Very, very obscure. This is the end of the song...
My hands are tied
I'm nailed to the floor
Feel like I'm knockin' on an unknown door
A gun at my back
A blade at my throat
I keep on findin' hate mail in the pockets of my coat
Well I've been trying to grow
I been coolin' my heels
I have been workin' in a treadmill
I have been workin' in the fields
And I can't get to sleep
I can't catch my breath
I can't stop talkin'
And I look like death!
But I will put right this disgrace
I will rearrange you
5. 1996 - An album track from a band with quite a few rock hits. This is one of the few sections of the lyrics that doesn't contain the title...
You give me love
Let me walk with you,
Maybe I could say
Maybe talk with you,
Open up
And let me through
Don't walk away
Don't walk away
I have no lid upon my head, but if I did
You could look inside and see what's on my mind
You could look inside and see what's on my mind
6. 2006 - Real new. A debut album track. From the end of the song...
Boom set your mouth on fire
So all your words come clear
If not for all your flat tires
I'm sure you'd find your way right here

Beating you off with a stick
What a kick while you eating me up with those tears
Contemplate it on the tree of regret
And forget that you could've been here

Perserverence is a wonderful thing
But be sure that your trucks are in gear
Nothing worse than just spinning your wheels
And not moving an inch in a year
7. 1998 - Just about the only song I can even tolerate from this goober. First verse...
And this is for the questions that don't have any answers
The midnight glancers and the topless dancers
The gander freaks, cars packed with speakers
The G's with the forties and the chicks with beepers
The northern lights and the Southern Comfort
And it don't even matter if your veins are punctured
All the crackheads, the critics, the cynics
And my heroes in the methadone clinic
All you bastards at the IRS
For the crooked cops and the cluttered desks
For the shots of jack and the caps of meth
Half pints of love and the fifths of stress
For the hookers all trickin out in Hollywood
And for my hoods of the world misunderstood
I said its all good and its all in fun
So get in the pit and try to love someone
8. 2004 - Hard rock. The title track from this band's third major-label album. First verse...
Somewhere beyond happiness and sadness
I need to calculate
What creates my own madness
And I'm addicted to your punishment
And you're the master,
And I am waiting for disaster
9. 1968 - A rock n' roll classic. There's no way to give you even a line without you getting it right away, so there's this bit...
Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out
They leave the west behind
And Moscow girls make me sing and shout
And Georgia's always on my my my my my my my my my mind
10. 1992 - This guy's been around for quite a while - first as leader of a band, then solo. Second verse...
So I watch you wash your hair
Underwater, unaware
And the plane flies through the air
Did you think you didn't have to choose it
That I alone could win or lose it
In all the places we were hiding love
What was it we were thinking of?

In this house of make believe
Divided in two, like Adam and Eve
You put out and I receive

5 comments:

Robbie said...

Do you know all these lyrics or do you look them up? They seem so remote.

Although, I'm thinking #9 might be California Girls but the year is throwing me off. Then again, my version is by David Lee Roth and I think the Beach Boys did it first. Heck - maybe second.

fdtate said...

#9 is not any version of California Girls.

If I took this quiz I would know #2, #3, #4 (maybe), #7, #8 (maybe), #9 and #10. But then again, these are on my music player's playlist. IMHO, #3, #7 and #9 are very easy.

I wouldn't have a clue as to #6. That song has only been on my player about a week. Someone who listens to a lot of Alternative Radio or has the album might get it.

I might get #1 and #5 if I thought about them for a really long time and figured out the rhythm of the lyrics.

I can usually figure out lyrics by listening and have an idea of which ones to include without giving away the title, but I usually just cut-and-paste from lyrics sites.

Robbie said...

Hmm...I listen to Alternative. I actually have a very diverse taste in music. I just don't remember the details well. I'm thinking based on your clue for #10 it's either the guy from Matchbox Twenty or the one from that psuedo-christian rock band whose name escapes me at the moment. And! I have one of their CDs. I enjoy these tests though and I enjoy the opportunity to read the lyrics. I throw out my CD liner notes. Some of these songs are quite poetic.

Robbie said...

Darn it! I decided to look up 9 and 10. I have 10 in my MP3 player! And, I have the other band too but I don't think I have that song. I suck!

fdtate said...

You're off track on #10.

That's the thing about doing this. I've discovered a few songs that were better than I thought they were once I understood what the song was actually about.